Friday, December 7, 2012

Epic Irusk

 At first, I had no interest in Epic Irusk. The model looked ok and I hadn't taken the time to study his rules. I received the model for him in a miniatures trade, courtesy of bartertown.com. He was part of a Khador lot and the seller was unwilling to break it up. I stripped off the previous owner's paint job, cleaned him up and sat him on my painting table in pieces for about a few months. I caught my younger daughter playing with him one day when she felt brave enough to enter my room without my permission. I would occasionally pick it up, look it over, inspect the detail and then set it back down again. One day, I felt inspired. I assembled him, which took lots of pinning and glue, and built a custom base out of cork, because I didn't like the base he came with. I primed him with grey automotive primer and started to paint him. I immediately tossed him into the Pine-Sol because the grey primer made the reds look too flat. There he sat for a couple of weeks. Once again I felt inspired. I fished him and all of his pieces out of the Pine-Sol, cleaned him up, assembled him, primed him black this time, and painted him. It took me about a week and a half to finish him, including the two times he took a dive off my painting table and had to be reassembled and re-touched. Thank God for the magnifier on my lamp because he's got tons of minute detail. The Khadorian flag he carries makes him a bit unbalanced so he falls over easily. I want to put him on an actual table top someday at the head of a great Khadorian army. But for now I have to settle for his digital counterpart on Vassal. 
After playing him for a few games, I have to say I like him. I like what he brings to the game, he is an infantry support caster, not so much a 'jack caster. He has some interesting spells and abilities that can really buff his army. He's more of a back-end caster, needed to be screened from incoming fire and melee. He does however need to keep up with the bulk of his army since his buffs are either short range or only work in his CMD range.
My current 50 point list:
eIrusk
Behemoth
Max MOW Demo Corps
Max MOW Demo Corps
Min Battle Mechaniks
Max Kayazy Assassins + Underboss
Max Winterguard Rifle Corps
Kovnik Joe
Widowmaker Marksman

Typically I sit Irusk behind Behemoth and toss out a few Airbursts when targets are in range. Behemoth is nice for tossing out 2 3" AOE blasts even while in melee and benefits from Fire For Affect but not the warjack bond. The Demo Corps are easily my favorite units, able to take out a Warpwolf with a few ice maul swings, even better with Battle Lust. The Kayazy are a nasty unit. The Rifle Corps bring some nice ranged shooting and work very well with Kovnik Joe. The Marksman hasn't seen much action the last few games, I don't know if it's due to bad positioning or lack of targets or what?
In my games against Rob's Circle army, I have been trying to win via the scenario objectives rather than the caster kill unless the objective is too far out of my reach or an opportunity presents itself.
Next game I'm going to swap out a unit of Demo Corp for a Iron Fang Pikeman unit and trade the rifle corps for the dreaded Winterguard Death Star. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment