Sunday, March 1, 2015

Gaming at Collectors, Epic Hexeris

I'm trying to settle on a new caster, I have been trying out pMakeda and pXerxis. I like them both, but they play very similar to each other, at least the lists I build for them.

Lately though, I have been looking into eHexeris. I dabbled with him a while back and had some success with him. Now I want to try a more serious approach. I looked into his tier and liked what I saw so I went with this list. It's more of a jumping off point, I will no doubt break tier eventually.

Points: 50/50
Tiers: 4
Lord Arbiter Hexeris (*6pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts) BONDED
* Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Praetorian Karax (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Praetorian Swordsmen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Praetorian Swordsmen Officer & Standard (2pts)
Venators Slingers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Ancestral Guardian (0pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Extoler Soulward (2pts)
Hakaar the Destroyer (4pts)

I played against Dan and his Trolls at collectors last Tuesday. We played the Close Quarters scenario from the SR 2015 rules. 

His list. (He admitted to being 1 point shy)
Points: 49/50
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia (*6pts)
* Slag Troll (6pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Trollkin Scattergunners (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Scattergunner Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)
Troll Whelps (2pts)

Dan won the roll and went second. I deployed my slingers directly behind the karax on the left flank, the swordsmen and the ancestral guardians on the right flank and Hexeris and the beasts in the center. 

Turn 1 was just straight up movement, getting everything into position. It was Killbox so I was wary to move Hexeris as far as I thought was safe.

The beginning of turn 2 went very well for me. The Drake went first, spraying the Fennblades, causing a wound but the Troll made his tough roll. Hexeris channeled Black Spot through the Drake onto the Fennblades targeting the knocked down troll. He also cast Ashes to Ashes on the troll behind him. The idea was to try to catch as many of the scatter gunners as possible. I did manage to kill a couple. The karax advanced and shieldwalled. The slingers advanced the shot at the Fennblades, nearly wiping out the entire unit. I was impressed. The swordsmen ran at the mauler just to jam him. The ancestral guardians advanced behind the swordsmen, ready to collect the eventual souls.
My flag was well protected and I had a good bead on Dan's. I was actually going to try to win on scenario. Thinks looked great.

Until.....

Dan, seeing no way to win on scenario did a total ball-out move. When he said, "I'm going for the assassination!" I thought, yeah right.

First, he cleared a path to Hexeris with the scattergunners, killing the Drake and a few karax, slingers and swordsmen. Then he ramped up the Earthborne and shot Hexeris in the face. I had 1 transfer but it did little good as the Earthborne had plenty of attacks and fury to pound Hexeris in the dirt.

So that was game, solid victory for Dan. He later lamented that he felt bad. I asked why? He took a risk and it paid off in a game that favors aggression and bold maneuvers. I need to watch that Earthborne in future games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment